How do I set the Personal Firewall of Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 to allow or block specific programs
Solution ID: 1038233
Product: Trend Micro Internet Security - 2009, Trend Micro Internet Security Pro - 2009
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP - SP2, Windows XP - SP3, Windows Vista, Windows Vista - SP1
To set the Personal Firewall to allow or block connections from specific programs, do the following:
1. Open the Trend Micro Internet Security main console by doing any of the following:
Start > Programs or All Programs > Trend Micro Internet Security
> Trend Micro Internet Security.
- Double-click the Trend Micro Internet Security icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
2. Click Home Network & Firewall Controls on the left panel.
3. Under Personal Firewall, click Settings.
4. On the Personal Firewall Settings screen, make sure there is a checkmark in the Activate the Personal Firewall checkbox.
5. Click Advanced Settings.
6. Click the Program Control tab.
7. Click Add. This opens the following screen.
8. In the “Description” box, type the name of the program you want to allow or block.
9. For “Target”, select either of the following:
• To allow or block a specific program, select Select a program. Type its location in the box or click Browse then select the program file (e.g. myprogram.exe).
• To allow or block Windows system files, select Operating system files.
10. For “Settings”, select Simple. If you want to specify the IP settings, ports, and protocols, to allow or block, select Advanced.
11. If you selected Simple, select the “Firewall Response” (Allow, Block, or Only warn you).
If you selected Advanced, the screen changes as shown below:
a. Click Add to create a specific rule. The following window opens:
b. For “Connection”, select the direction of the connection to allow or block (Incoming, Outgoing, or Both).
c. For “Response”, select the action to be taken by the rule (Allow, Block, or Only warn you).
d. For “Protocol”, select the protocol to which rule applies (TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP). If you are not sure, select TCP/UDP.
e. For “Ports”, select All ports to allow or block the program from communication on all ports. To allow or block communication on specific ports, select Specified port(s) then type the port numbers in the box.
f. For “Types, select the type of IP addresses to which the rule applies:
• All IP addresses – applies to all IP addresses.
• IP address (IPv4) – applies to a specific IP address you type in the box. You can also type the hostname and click Resolve to get the IP address.
• IP address range (IPv4) – applies to a specific range of IP addresses. Type the first and last address in the range.
• Subnet mask (IPv4) – applies to a specific subnet mask of the IP address you specify.
• Broadcast – applies to all connections to all IP addresses in a network segment.
• Multicast (IPv4) – applies to connections to a specific range of IP addresses in your network.
• Local network – applies to connections within your local network.
If you are not sure, select All IP addresses.
g. Click OK.
12. Click OK twice.
13. Close the Trend Micro Internet Security main console.